Dear Parents and Guardians,
Grade 8 students at Sargent Park School are being asked to ‘pay it forward’. Students will be watching the movie Pay it Forward on Friday, December 19th. The main message in the movie is that just one person can make a difference. Over the winter break, students are asked to perform a random act of kindness…just because.
Excerpt from the movie:
"You see, I do something real good for three people. And then when they ask how
they can pay it back, I say they have to Pay It Forward...to three more people. Each. So, nine people get helped. Then those people have to do twenty-seven." He turned on the calculator, punched in a few numbers. "Then it sort of spreads out, see, to eighty-one, then two hundred forty-three, then seven hundred twenty-nine, then two thousand, one hundred eighty-seven. See how big it gets?"
Some possible ideas include:
• Volunteer at a soup kitchen, hospital, care home
• Clean up your community/school yard/park
• Donate Food/Clothing/Toys/Books/
• Collect new and used toys and donate them to a hospital
• Help deliver Christmas hampers
• Make and deliver treat bags for children in hospitals (include pens, notepads, stickers, puzzles, candy, etc)
• Send care packages for soldiers / write letters to soldiers
• Become a pen pal with a senior citizen
• Shovel your neighbour’s driveway (or your own)
• Volunteer to baby-sit for free
• Write ‘Thank you’ notes to people who have helped you
• Leave cards or notes in mailboxes, on windshields, or hanging from doorknobs
• AND LOTS, LOTS MORE!!
These are just possibilities. Students are asked to be creative and try to make a difference in someone’s life.
Students are asked to capture their act of kindness on video or in a photograph.
After the holidays, they will be sharing their experience with the class.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ms. Lee or Mr. Harbeck.
The Grade 8 Team