Fraction word problems
1. There are 24 hours in a day and scientists tell us that we should sleep for 3/8 of the day. How much time should we spend sleeping?
2. The National History Museum has collected 125 dinosaurs. George has collected 3/5 of this amount. How many dinosaurs has George collected?
3. Mr Murrin is 160cm tall and his brother Tom is 7/8 as tall as him. How tall is Tom?
4. The weather forecaster says that it is 200 C in London but only 7/10 as hot in New York. How hot is it in New York?
5. Skateboards cost £36 each in my local store. The shopkeeper says if I buy one I can buy another for only 7/9 of the normal price. How much would a second skateboard cost?
6. Billy collected 256 conkers but lost ? of them on his way to school through a hole in his bag. When he arrived at school how many conkers did Billy have left?
7. There are 25 pupils in the class, 3/5 of the pupils support Chelsea and the remainder support Arsenal. How many pupils support Arsenal?
8. The local shop normally sells Mars bars for 40 pence. The shopkeeper says I can buy them for 1/4 less than the normal price. How much can I buy a Mars bar for?
9. Last year, Mr Murrin weighed 60 kg. This year he weighs 2/5 more. How much does Mr Murrin weigh this year?
10. McDonalds sell milkshakes in two sizes. A small milkshake contains 300ml and a large milkshake contains 2/3 more.
(i) How much does a large milkshake contain?
(ii) If Mr Murrin drinks 2/3 of a small milkshake and
Miss Hoyne 1/2 of a large milkshake who drinks
11. Half a can of paint covers 1/3 of a room. How much paint is needed to cover the whole room?