Hello Parents Here is the 2019 Manitoba Marathon Information Post. The following link takes you to the Manitoba Marathon Relay Page. Here you will find great maps and other information.
The time has come. Friday June 14 will be our last official practice. The students have attended many 7:30 and 8:00 practices. All of them are ready to do the relay on Sunday June 18th. They have done their part now it is your turn to help out. Students will be bringing home a bag of goodies today. In this bag you will find:
- Marathon information booklet
- Marathon Spreadsheet
- Their Race Number
- 4 pins
All of this material is important for next Sunday. Please take time to read the Marathon Information Booklet. There is valuable information about everything you might be curious about for the race on Sunday. Some pages to pay attention to are:
- Page 8 & 9 information about the START of the race. Leg one and 10km participants need to know this.
- Page 6 & 7 map of the NEW marathon finish area in the stadium.
- Pages 8-11 are full of relay race information from parking to helpful hints (we sent this home last week.
Please read this book.
I have provided you with a marathon spreadsheet (Please find this note at the Sargent Park Mathzone).This shows all the teams participating in the relay this year. The spreadsheet has be created using estimated times from practice runs. It is not totally accurate. I have erred on the side of estimating too fast. This means that for some of the later runners I may be out by up to 20 minutes. Expect to be at your relay check point for up to an hour before some runners arrive. Times will change due to weather conditions and because of injuries to runners. I have provided you with:
- time to arrive at the exchange point
- estimated time to complete the relay section
- arrival time at the next exchange point
Please make sure to arrive at the right time. You will have difficulty finding parking and getting to the exchange zones. It is a good idea to scout out routes ahead of time. Please be prepared. Being on time is so important. If you do not show up and a runner has no one to pass the chip to the race is ruined for the other 4 athletes.
Each student gets a relay number our numbers are 5001, 5002 AND 5003. This number must be worn on the front of the shirt. The four pins in the kit are to fasten the number to the shirt.. At the relay exchange zones there are sign posts with numbers. Stand in between the sign posts that are appropriate (i.e. 5600-5700). The runners will exchange the chip and look for each other in these numerical zones. ***** All runners must wear the relay exchange number attached to the belt at all times. This is how we are timed and scored. We will not get a time if this belt is not worn by all students*****
Thank you for allowing your child to participate. The goal of this club is to develop life long runners. All the students are amazing. So here are my last few pieces of advice:
- Please wake up your child with plenty of time to get to the race. It is on Sunday and they will need lots of encouragement to wake up!
- Feed them food but not too much food. A bowl of oatmeal and bananas would be plenty for what they need to do. There are snacks and drinks on the course.
- Know where the exchange point is. Getting their on time is very important. The whole relay team is counting on you.
- If you are picking up other students or getting picked up, please know the phone numbers of all people concerned.
- Most of all enjoy the experience with them. They have worked so hard and come so far. Share their accomplishment.
This year we have race t-shirts. These technical fabric tshirts are needed to run on hot June days. They are highly
visable for the runners to see each other in the exchange zones. We are looking forward to an awesome race this year. Thank you for all of your support.
This has been a remarkable season. Over 30 athletes trained and 16 are participating on Marathon Sunday. We will be the largest Junior High team in the province. Congratulations and thanks again. Do not hesitate to call us at the school or email me. I will get back to you as fast as I can.
Marathon Coaches and Runners
email@example.com 204 7758985
Here is a race map for the relay stations.