This assignment is to be done quietly. You will receive inclass deductions if you are too loud or off task.
A) Set up Instructions
- Fold a piece of in to quarters (hamburger hotdog folds)
- Put your name and room number in the upper left quadrant.
- Put Pythagoras Scavenger hunt in the upper right quadrant.
B) Upper Left Quadrant
- Define a Right Triangle (text book). Explain what the legs and hypotenuse are.
C) Upper and lower Right Quadrants
- Define the Pythagorean Relationship. (textbook)
- Use the grid paper provide to draw a right triangle with sides that measure 3cm, 4cm and 5 cm. Label the legs side a and b. Label the hypotenuse side c. Cut this triangle off of the grid paper and relabel the side lengths if you have cut them out.
- Create 3 squares on your grid paper.
- One square has an area of 9 squares
- One square has an area of 16 squares
- One square has an area of 25 squares
- Lightly colour each one a different colour
Using glue stick can you use the three squares and the right triangle to explain the Pythagorean relationship. a2 + b2 = c2
D) Lower Left Quadrant
Use the following numbers and shapes to explain the Pythagorean Relationship.
Draw a right Triangle
Attach 3 squares to each of the sides of the right triangle.
Now place the following labels and numbers into the diagram (it does not need to be to scale)
side a, side b, side c, hypotenuse,
a2, b2, c2
8 cm, 10 cm, 6 cm
100 cm2, 36 cm2, 64 cm2
Due Tuesday during class. We will correct it in class